International license required outside Germany

The KFZ-Zulassungsstelle facility located in Wiesbaden-Schierstein.

The KFZ-Zulassungsstelle facility located in Wiesbaden-Schierstein.

The long days of summer are finally here, and Europe is at your doorstep – sounds like the perfect time for a road trip, right?

Before setting that navigation system to a destination outside Germany’s borders, military and DoD personnel stationed in Germany are reminded they will need an International Driver’s License, or IDL, in addition to a U.S. Forces Certificate of License (USAREUR license) and a valid stateside driver’s license to make the trip.

Wiesbaden’s Driver Training and Testing Station personnel want to help you get the proper documentation in hand in time for your vacation.

“For incoming personnel and family members the priority is to get a USAREUR Driver’s license, to operate a POV on and off installations in Germany,” said Pascal Correc, drivers training instructor, at the Wiesbaden Driver Training and Testing Station.

However, at the start of every POV orientation Wiesbaden’s instructors tell students to not delay getting their IDLs and obtaining the signed application from their office is the first step.

“Every student who completes the POV orientation here, passes the written test and receives their USAREUR driver’s license should return to our offices for an IDL application if they plan to drive outside Germany’s borders,” Correc said.

An IDL can’t be obtained using the temporary USAREUR license issued immediately after passing the written test.

To apply, visit the Wiesbaden DTTS located on Clay Kaserne, building 1023W, 3rd Floor. Applicants should bring their USAREUR license and a valid stateside license. The application must be completed in person and signed by DTTS personnel. It takes approximately 10 minutes. No appointment is required; however, you can call ahead to determine staff availability at DSN 546-6076/6077 or civ (0611) 143-546-6076/6077.

Next, bring the signed application, a single passport photo, your USAREUR driver’s license, official or tourist passport (red or blue), valid stateside driver’s license, your Department of Defense ID card and 15 euros or a credit card to the off-post KFZ-Zulassungsstelle facility (This is the German equivalent to the Department of Motor Vehicles) located in Wiesbaden-Schierstein.

“No additional drivers test is required to get an IDL. Just some paperwork, valid documentation and 15 euros,” Correc said.

Some navigation systems may direct drivers past the facility to the “Federal Mogul” building; however, the vehicle entrance to the KFZ-Zulassungsstelle is immediately past the blue sign for “TÜV Hessen Service Center” on the right-hand side of the street. Free parking is available.

“They offer extended evening hours until 6 p.m. on Wednesdays which makes it a convenient time to visit the facility,” Correc said.

When you enter the building look for a small electronic kiosk in the waiting area to get a number. The kiosk screen will say “Warteticket.” Press the orange button with the word “Fahrerlaubnisbehörde.” A paper ticket will print with a customer number that begins with the letter “F.” Pay attention to the screens on the wall. When your number comes up, your appointment will be upstairs on the first floor (1. Stock) in the room (Raum) indicated on the screen.

After processing, you will return downstairs and pay at the “Kasssenautomat” before the IDL is issued. The self-service pay station works like a parking meter or “Parkschein Automat” and accepts euros or credit cards. An International Driver’s License costs 15 euros.

Passport photos can be taken at self-service photo booths located at the food court on Clay Kaserne and the Hainerberg Exchange Mall. There is also a booth located in the entrance of the KFZ-Zulassungsstelle facility, in case you forget to bring one. Four photos cost 5 euros. You will need scissors to cut one photo from the page.