Trick-or-treating in the Aukamm Housing Area is a draw for the resident ghouls and goblins as well as the host nation neighbors. In order to reduce traffic and ensure the safety of all trick-or-treaters, the U.S. Army Garrison Directorate of Emergency Services teamed up with the Polizei to block off streets and provide extra patrols. Here’s what to expect beginning at 5:30 p.m. and running through trick-or-treating hours from 6 to 8 p.m.:
• Rheinlandstrasse will be blocked from Westfalenstrasse to Bingertstrasse to all but emergency vehicle traffic (1 to 7 on map).
• Westfalenstrasse will remain open through to Bayernstrasse and Bingertstrasse (1 to 3 and 5 on map).
• Residents will have access with their military ID to the neighborhood through Westfalen and Schleswigstrasse (1 and 2 on map).
• Traffic will be blocked from entering through Wurttembergstrasse from Bingerstrasse and directed onto Westfalenstrasse. (4 and 5 on map).
• The gate at Hamburgstrasse will remain closed (6 on map).
• Non-residents wishing to trick-or-treat in Aukamm will need to park outside of the neighborhood and walk.
• The shuttle bus will still follow its set route and times.
Because the Crestview Housing Area does not have a major thoroughfare running through it, trick-or-treating traffic is usually lighter. Residents are still reminded to drive safely and follow other Halloween safety precautions.
Trick-or-treating hours will run from 6 to 8 p.m. in all housing areas. NOTE: These are reduced hours from the originally announced time. Trick-or-treating is limited to the exterior of buildings, and trick-or-treaters should not enter stairwells in multi-family units.
In the event parents and children are separated during trick-or-treating, meet-up points for lost children will be set up at the following locations:
• Clay Kaserne – Newman Village bus stop
• Aukamm – South entrance to the housing area (near 1 on map)
• Crestview – Gazebo behind the DoDEA bus stop
• Hainerberg – USO Pavilion.