• Make plans to attend the Wiesbaden International Wandering Club general membership and information meeting on the third Monday of each month at the Im Landchen Restaurant and Sportsbar (Oberfeld 7, 65205 Wiesbaden-Erbenheim. Find out more about club activities at www.wiwc-volksmarching.de or by email at email@example.com.
• A unique event requiring preregistration by Oct. 25 is the first-ever event at Merkers, located approximately two hours northeast of Wiesbaden. On Nov. 23 a volksmarch will take place approximately 500-800 meters underground. Trails of eight-, 16-, and 22-km will be offered, as will a hardhat. Bring a flashlight and spare batteries. Total cost of the event is €20 per participant and includes the start card, cable car ride, tour of the world’s unique crystal cave, and a certificate. Registration payment may be made by bank transfer (überweisung) to Wanderfreunde Glueckauf, account number (kontonummer) 100105236, and bank number (bankleitzahl) 53261342. Be sure to list the names of the participants in the memorandum lines (verwendungszweck). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Merkers” to get an event brochure in PDF format.
• Got a comment? Found something you’d like to correct? Want to change “unknown” to a useful trail description? Write me at email@example.com with the subject “Feedback.”
• Interested in volksmarching but not sure how things work? Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Getting Started.”
• Many thanks to readers Pat and Cheryl Patterson, Bob and Pat Kiebler, and Susan and David Salaj for helping out by sending brochures.
• Readers are asked to pick up extra event brochures and to mail them via MPS to Donald Seltzer, CMR 467 Box 5533, APO AE 09096.
• The postal code is included in the listings for readers using navigation devices. Autobahn exit numbers are being added for those without such devices.
• Would you like to receive Take a Hike at the same time as the newspaper editor? The complete, unedited version of the monthly volksmarching feature is available in its original Word document format by sending an email message to email@example.com with “subscribe” in the subject line.
• Look for additional event choices at www.wiesbaden.army.mil/hunion/Takeahike.htm.
Weekend of Aug. 31-Sept. 1
Kirchberg (55481) — Enjoy seeing the Hunsrück region’s oldest town in one of Germany’s most scenic areas. From points east use Autobahns 3 or 67, then Autobahn 60 to Bingen and 61 toward Koblenz. Exit at Rheinböllen (45) and use B-50 and B-421 to Kirchberg. From Baumholder, head east using the road bordering the training area to reach B-420 toward Bad Kreuznach. Connect with B-270 and B-41 toward Kirn, and B-421 north to Kirchberg.
Start: Stadthalle on Gartenstrasse Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. (5 and 10 km) and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. (20 km) Trail: Slightly hilly (with a steep hill following the last control); neighborhoods, woods and fields Award: From previous events.
Wednesday, Sept. 4
Grolsheim (55459) — Celebrate the start of another school year by taking the family to this midweek event. From Wiesbaden, use Autobahns 643 and 60 toward Bingen. Briefly use A-61 toward Koblenz and exit at Bingen-Mitte (49) to pick up B-50. Take this south toward Bad Kreuznach and Grolsheim; follow IVV signs to the start. From Baumholder, head east using the road bordering the training area to reach B-420 toward Bad Kreuznach. Connect with B-270 toward Idar-Oberstein, B-41 toward Bad Kreuznach, and B-50 toward Bingen to find Grolsheim.
Start: Nahelandhalle on Aspisheimer Weg Wednesday: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (5 and 10 km) and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. (15 km) Trail: Fairly flat, mostly fields, some woods Award: From previous events.
Weekend of Sept. 7-8
Hattersheim am Main (65795) — Midway between Frankfurt and Wiesbaden, this walk is easily reached. Use Autobahns 66 or 67 toward Wiesbaden (or head toward Frankfurt from Wiesbaden). Take the Hattersheim-West exit from A-66 and head in the direction of Okriftel.
Start: Halle Kleingartenverein at Glockwiesenweg 10 Sunday: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. (5, 12 and 20 km) Trail: Flat, almost entirely stroller-friendly, fields and neighborhoods. Award: From previous events.
Kümbdchen (55471) — This walk is in the Hunsrück region northwest of Bingen. Volksmarchers from the KMC should use Autobahns 6 toward Mannheim, 63 toward Mainz, and 61 toward Koblenz. Exit at Rheinböllen (35), take B-50 toward Simmern, and pick up a minor road to the start at Kümbdchen. From Wiesbaden, use Autobahns 643 and 60 toward Bingen, and 61 toward Koblenz. Exit at Rheinböllen (35), use B-50 toward Simmern, and pick up a minor road to Kümbdchen.
Start: Turnhalle at Am Sportplatz 1 Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. (5, 10 and 20 km) Trail: Somewhat hilly, woods and fields Award: Weizenbier glass.
Wednesday, Sept. 11
Bockenau (55595) — This event is due west of Bad Kreuznach on the year-round, permanent Hunsrück trail system. From Wiesbaden, use Autobahns 643, 60, and 61 to Bad Kreuznach (exit 51), then B-41 toward Kirn to pick up an unnumbered road at Waldböckelheim to head northwest to Bockenau. From Baumholder, use the road bordering the training area to reach B-420 and B-270 for the connection with B-41 and head toward Bad Kreuznach. Connect with the minor road at Waldböckelheim leading to Bockenau.
Start: Bockenauer-Schweiz-Halle on Waldböckelheimer Strasse Wednesday: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (5 and 10 km) and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. (20 km) Trail: Fairly hilly, woods Award: From previous events.
Weekend of Sept. 14-15
Diez-Freiendiez (65582) — This event is just west of Limburg. From Wiesbaden, use Autobahns 66 and 3 toward Frankfurt and Limburg, exit at Diez (41) and follow directional signs to the start.
Start: Turnhalle am Wirt on Jahnstrasse Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. (5, 10 and 20 km) Trail: Hilly, woods Award: None.