USAREUR Antiterrorism Division
This guide provides general location and activity-based tips. It is important to tailor protective measures to your situation.
Festivals, concerts, Christmas markets and public events
- Stay vigilant and situationally aware.
- Report suspicious activity, unattended bags or anything outside of the norm.
- Avoid high traffic and peak visiting times.
- Avoid locations which restrict or limit movement or ability to exit the venue quickly.
- Remain especially observant near pedestrian entry and exit points.
- Don’t stay near controlled entrances where crowds gather and be extra vigilant when moving through.
- Do not loiter in areas accessible to large vehicles.
- Know where emergency evacuation points are located and establish predetermined Family or group rally points.
- Identify closest exit point to your location.
- Locate other exit points and have an escape plan.
- Active shooter response is, run, hide, fight.
- Move away from incidents, seek cover and avoid panicked crowds.
- If an attack occurs and you are in a safe area, attempt to communitcate with responders electronically.
- Do not move toward responders unless directed.
- Remain calm.
- Be prepared to answer security or first responder questions.
- Exit the location as quickly as possible, keeping in mind the security environment.
- Secure personal identification documents and have them readily available.
- Remember where predetermined Family or group rally points are located.
- Help others when appropriate.
- Ensure responders and medical personnel know your nationality, if appropriate.
- Remain vigilant and situationally aware.
- Update chain of command, legal or law enforcement as required.
- Provide lessons learned to chain of command.