Wiesbaden tax center opens for season

Tax season is here again! The U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden Tax Center will open Feb. 1. While the filing deadline may be a couple of months away, this month you will begin to receive documents to file your taxes. Wage and earning statements (W-2s) for Soldiers become available online at www.mypay.dfas.mil around Jan. 21.

To help make sure your taxes are filed timely and accurately, keep in mind the following information:

Simple returns first
From Feb. 1 to Feb. 17, the Tax Center will operate on a walk-in basis only. On these walk-in days, returns will not be started after 3 p.m.
During the first two-and-a-half weeks of operation, tax preparation services will be limited to individuals who are filing simple tax returns.
Beginning Feb. 21, tax returns will be prepared by appointment only on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.
Wednesday will remain a walk-in day for simple returns only. As before, on walk-in days, returns will not be started after 3 p.m.

State returns
United States citizens working overseas seas are still a legal resident of one of the 50 states or U.S. territories.
You may or may not need to file a state income tax return based on your residency.

Tax Center Hours:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., and Thursday 1 to 4 p.m.
Location: Second floor of Bldg. 1043 on Clay Kaserne
Phone Number: (0611)143-537-0690

Simple tax returns do NOT include:

• 1099B or other non-1099DIV capital gain/loss
• Residential rental properties
• Self-employment or foreign earned income
• Foreign income tax
• Tax treaty exclusion of pension or SSA income from U.S. taxability
• Amendment of current or prior year return
• Puerto Rico tax filing requirement

Gather the appropriate documents

DOD ID cardholders, including Soldiers, family members, civilians and retirees who wish to use the free tax preparation and e-filing services need to have all of their documents ready when they meet with preparers. These documents include:
• DOD ID card
• W-2, 1099 and 1098 forms
• Social Security Card (self, spouse, and dependents)
• Individual Tax Identification Number card or letter (for foreign spouses)
• Copies of your prior years’ tax returns
• Bank account information with routing and account number if e-filing (blank check)
• Power of attorney if you are married filing jointly and your spouse is not present

PLEASE NOTE: It is extremely important to bring in copies of your prior year returns and Social Security Cards this year.
The IRS recently changed tax preparation service providers. Our Tax Center will now use the TaxSlayer program to prepare returns. Our office will not have access to any prior year returns or the information that was used to prepare those returns.

If you do not have the required documents, you will be turned away. Our preparers cannot begin a return without them.